Sunday, February 28, 2010

Warm weather at last.

Hi all,
I’m sitting on a comfortable couch at a place called Stillwell Ranch and RV Park, just outside Big Bend National Park in Texas. They only have Wi-Fi at the office so it’s difficult to check Email.
 The gold medal hockey game is on so if my spelling and grammar suffer I’m sure you’ll understand. I couldn’t get our satellite dish working though another Ontarian I met had. He says we are on the edge of Bell Satellite coverage and dish alignment must be perfect.
We arrived on Wednesday and have spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday driving (mostly driving) and walking in the park. This place is big. We have to drive over 1 ½ hours just to get to the main visitor center then an hour to most of the other sites.The speed limit is 45mph. That doesn't help.  It’s a very impressive place. If you have ever seen a desert you’ll know what I mean. The Chisos Mountain Range is encompassed completely by the park.
It’s hard to believe that people actually lived and thrived here but we have been assured they did. For over 4000 years too. The aboriginal peoples lived and traveled throughout a huge area as their many petroglyphs and other artifacts attest.
(I think I’ll put the computer down for a bit as there are less than 7 minuets in the game and I can’t concentrate.) Oh no! Over time!
One negative watching the games here in the US is just that. Everything has a US slant. But, I can’t really complain.
I almost forgot. The temp got up to 81F on Thursday. We have finally found heat. Lucky for us it’s a dry heat and the nights are cool. Right now the clouds are gathering and we may get rain. That might get interesting as rain in the desert is a rare thing and the plants will bloom very quickly. Of course it snowed less than a week ago so go figure.
CANADA SCORED! GO CROSBY! GO CANADA!!!
The wind has really come up out of the northwest.  It looks like we’re having a dust storm. The rain is still coming.
We plan on moving tomorrow to a RV park on the other side of Big Bend. If we get wifi I'll try to update with pictures.
Take care till then.


Carolyn and Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment